Sunday, September 24, 2006

Tire Swingifuge

My eight-year-old, Sebastian, had a wild ride on a tire swing today. It wasn't the kind of tire swing I remember from my youth. You know, the kind that your dad made out of an old tire and hung from a tree in your backyard. The kind that sometimes looked kind of interesting from indoors, but when you got out there it was all hot and smelly and full of mosquito hatchlings?

No, this swing was some kind of modern engineering marvel made from sculpted tire parts, complicated rope systems, and, I believe, solid fuel booster rockets.

Sebastian's friends convinced him to climb aboard the swing and proceeded to spin him around and around and around and around until he was, by his estimate, as far off the ground as my chin is. Then they let him go.

You know what happened next. For each turn they wound him up, he went in the opposite direction in increasingly rapid rotations. By the time he finally stopped spinning, he weren't feeling too good.

When I went to pick him up, he had noticeable swelling and petechiae (not really a whole malady this month, more of a physical finding) around his eyes. Usually we see this when people are vomiting or coughing vigorously, but it can happen anytime you experience increased pressure in your face.

I think any plans he had on being a fighter pilot are on indefinite hold.

4 comments:

Brendon Etter said...

Well, rock on, doctorboy! A new post. Man, I can see Sebastian pointing to your neck, then your nose, then just below your chin and finally settling on your chin, but still not sure if that was exactly how high he was off the ground. 'Tis the way of the eight-year; so literal. The chin isn't a metaphor for simply being higher off the ground than one might expect on a stationary tire swing, but rather it is a precise measuring device denoting the exact height - an anatomical atomical ruler.

Anonymous said...

I think back in his daycare teaching days Teacher Bleeet saw some of that sort of tire swing action himself.

Thanks for coming out to paint yesterday- you are the fabulous volunteer :).

-Ann

Circe said...

Wow! You do actually blog. That's pretty damn exciting. Well, my food is melting all over the floor and I need to go put it in my new fridge. See ya!

Anonymous said...

Tramadol
Ultram tramadol discount
tramadol